Thursday, May 7, 2009

Miss Kingsley (Chapter One) By Janine


Chapter One


"Mama!" cried Elena as she was running towards the house to her mother, "oh, mama, such wonderful news!"

"Bless me child, that is not a way for a lady that is to be married to behave." said her mother, Mrs. Kingsley. "Child what is it? You shouldn't have run all this way, look at you breathless and tired!"
Elena Kingsley ignored her mother, "Mama, I just heard that our sister, your daughter, Maria has just been asked to marry Mr. Scott! Oh, is not that wonderful news mother? Now you have two daughters who are engaged and a daughter and a son that are happily married" Mrs. Kingsley accidentally dropped her tea cup and as cup became thousand of pieces of fine china on the floor, Mrs. Kingsley became incapable to think about anything but her daughter Maria.
"Oh, dear, your favorite cup!"

"Maria to be married?" said Mrs. Kingsley, "my dear Maria to be a Scott! Upon my word! Mr. Kingsley will be thrilled to learn this, I must go to him at once"
"But mama-"
"Oh, Elena will you kindly ring the bell for the maid," Mrs. Kingsley ignoring her daughter was now walking towards the door. "Mr. Kingsley! My darling, where are you! I have good news about Maria"
"Mama, please do not tell papa yet, he will get angry unless Maria herself tells him!" Elena cried as she followed her Mother to the grand library of their house, "Mama, please!" It was too late for now Mrs. Kingsley has opened the library door.
"Mr. Kingsley-"
"Papa is not here, mama." says her other daughter Christina, who was the only person in the library "You have just missed him for he went and called on the Scotts." Christina, the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kingsley was not married for she would not want to leave the great house she lives in and her father. "So, Maria to be married!"
"And before you," Elena teased her sister, "I don't quite know how you feel about that."
"Well, to have you know, I'm quite happy for her."
"Oh sister, when are you going to get married?" says Elena and sat down on the chair near her sister. "I'm sure it will make you very happy. I'm happy already being engaged and what do you think how I will be when I am married? Oh please sister, let me introduce you to George's friend Mr. Lowell, he is a great man."
"Your husband to be, Mr. George Perry, and his friends are not the kind of people that will please me. Maybe George will please me for he is to be my brother but his friends are not what I call good company."
"Mr. Lowell is the best company you will ever know, sister, and he is not like George's other friends from the university. He has been a friend to George since they where as small as Cassandra's baby."
"Oh yes I have forgot!" Christina said as she took out a letter from her pocket, "Mother, you should read this, it will give you more joy for she has said that she will be expecting another baby."
"Another baby!" cried her mother as she took the letter from her daughters hand, "Another baby! Maria and Elena to be married!" and then she left the room.
"What about Mr. Lowell?" cried Elena for she has not forgotten about their previous subject,
"And what about him, Elena?"
"You must give him a chance."

"If I will, will you stop pairing me up with one of your friends or your friends friend?" Elena nodded, "Well then introduce me if you must but do not expect me to fall madly in love with him or him to me."
"Very well then, you will meet him tomorrow at the ball" Her sister's face was all in shock, "What? I thought you said I could introduce him to you."
"I never thought it would be that fast!"
"Oh, Christina, please!"
Christina sighed and after a few moments, "Tomorrow then". Elena embraced her sister and left the room. She was above happiness now for she has another sister to be married and another on the way to matrimony. Her thoughts were about her brother, Thomas, with his wife and children, her sister Cassandra with her husband and children, Maria with Mr. Scott, herself with her George and Christina with Mr. William Lowell. "What a happy family we all would be!"

No comments:

Post a Comment